Click the photo for more images
A house fire at 2600 Thomas Ave. off Rockford Lane, just south of Shively, may have started in the stove area according to firefighters.
The man and woman who live in the home were not there at the time of the fire; they had left to attend a funeral and returned home to find the house on fire.
No one else was in the home at the time of the fire, but the couple had two dogs, who were in kennels on the second floor, and did die from smoke inhalation.
The woman indicated to firefighters that she might have left food on the stove
Pleasure Ridge Park Fire Department were called to the fire, and the extreme cold temperatures are definitely hindering their work, One firefighter indicated to WHAS11 News that firefighters are only allowed to work on a fire in 15-min shifts because of the extreme conditions.
Text from WHAS11.com