02 January 2009

002/365 Memorial Auditorium

Day 2 of Project 365. I originally planned on shooting at the Little Loom House, I decided to look around the Old Louisville area for more photo opportunities. My initial intention was LFD Engine 7 house, but I wasn't feeling a good pic there today. I drove past this building with columns several times and finally decided to stop and see what I could come up with. After returning home I was downloading the images, with the full intent of going back out to shoot this afternoon, and I saw a version of this pass by. I initially worked on the Loom house image below making and HDR, and I thought that it didn't look all that bad. I went back and browsed the remainder of the images and thought, oh yeah I need to make an HDR of this. After processing the image, I knew this had to be my shot of the day.

History of Memorial Auditorium:
The creation of Louisville Memorial Auditorium was the outgrowth of two movements: one for a public auditorium, the other for a memorial to commemorate the deeds of the sons and daughters of Louisville and Jefferson County who served their country in World War I. The Louisville Memorial Commission was created by the Kentucky Legislature under Chapter 23 of the Acts of 1922 (KRS 97.630 through 97.780) for the purpose of administering the construction, maintenance, preservation and day to day operation of Louisville Memorial Auditorium. The first Louisville Memorial Commission was appointed by Louisville Mayor George Weissinger Smith. The Commission has been directing the operation of Louisville Memorial Auditorium for the benefit of Louisville Metro Government and serving the Louisville community faithfully and continuously since 1922.
Taken from their web site


Little Loom House. The original target for the day, but even after processing the images I wasn't excited about the results. Interesting piece of history here though.

In 1893 the Hill sisters had written a book called, “Song Stories for the Kindergarten”, which was published by Clayton F. Summy Co. of Chicago. The first song in the book was entitled “Good Morning to All”. During a birthday celebration in Etta’s summer cabin, for her sister Lysette, Patty Hill suggested the words to this song be changed to “Happy Birthday to You”. Although the original song had been copyrighted the new lyrics were not until 1935. Under federal law at the time, the copyright would not expire until 75 years later- the year 2010.


Excerpt taken from their web site.

No comments: